Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:41:51 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        paul@freebsd-services.co.uk, "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@lmc.ericsson.se>, alex@big.endian.de, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, richy@apple.com, libh@FreeBSD.ORG, will@physics.purdue.edu
Subject:   Re: packagetool.tcl

Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> I'm not touching that question with an 11 foot pole. :)
>
> I think it's simply too early to say yet.  TCL is by far the least of
> libh's dependencies, and one might just as well ask the same question
> about Qt or TurboVision.  It may be that by the time libh is ready to
> deploy, we'll have cracked the whole /usr/ports vs /usr/src modularity
> problem for all I know.

Of found the holy grail. ;)

I personnally think it's all the same problem, ie. an old package system.

We *could* switch /usr/src over a package model, using the old scheme,
but it wouldn't bring us much good, since the package management tools
are primitive. No harm intended at anyone here.

In my perfect mad world, I would have 5.0 rolled out using libh with src
and ports/packages being seemlessly integrated together. ie. having src
as modular packages. Yumm...

Of course, that would mean I would have to start coding, thing I said I
would do last week and thing I'll say probably next week again. ;)

tcl is definitly the least of our concerns for libh, since we have QT
and tvision in the way. But since libh is nicely modular, we could
simply have a very ugly "text-only" (ie no curses or anything) backend
that would be minimal and then libh would only need tcl.

I remember seeing a link to a nice 3 way (graphic, curses, text)
interface in the archives somewhere...

I'm really evil, exposing all this here now. :)

> - Jordan

A.

--
Antoine Beaupré