Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:56:24 -0700
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@Lamb.net>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isdn code

On Oct 1, 11:30am, Michael Hancock wrote:
> Subject: Re: isdn code

> > > Well, nobody seems to use it or support it.
> >
> > I thought many Germans were using it, since their country has a real
> > communications infrastructure, unlike ours.
>
> They have a unified ISDN policy like Japan does.  Communications
> monopolies makes this easier I suppose.
>
> Surprisingly, Germany's Internet infrastructure seems pretty weak.
> International ISP's are more likely to access Europe via the UK or Sweden.
> Anyway, that's a different story.
>
> The Teles driver only supports HDLC and does not support PPP, though I
> think they are working on PPP support.  I think most FreeBSD Teles Users
> in Germany prefer HDLC because it has less overhead than PPP, so most of
> the effort goes there.  This doesn't help for those who need to connect to
> other vendors devices that are most likely use PPP.
>
> Regards,
>

> Mike Hancock
>

>-- End of excerpt from Michael Hancock

Germany has a bad Internet infrastructure because that monopol is driving the
prices up. Last january they raised the local prices for analog and ISDN calls
100%.

Long distance digital leased got cheaper but are still expensive.

:(

--
Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
Lamb Art Internet Services | http://www.Lamb.net/ | http://www.Alameda.net