Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:11:39 -0600
From:      Krzysztof Parzyszek <kristof@swissmail.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 9.1 freezes randomly on G5

Hi,

I just got a Mac G5 (PowerMac11,2 Dual-core G5 2.0GHz) and I installed
FreeBSD 9.1 on it (using a 9.1-release iso image).  The problem is that
the machine freezes at random(?) times, sometimes sooner, sometimes
later.  Often, the hang can be accelerated by performing I/O operations
(like copying files).  Sometimes it won't even start booting after the
OF messages---the screen goes blank and no text is shown.  What "helps"
it boot is typing 'set hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"', followed by "boot -v",
although I suspect that this is similar to the "more magic" switch,
since "sysctl -a" doesn't show any string containing "acpi".

The box has 16GB of memory.  It passed all ASD tests.

What happens is that the LED#7 goes on, the machine freezes (without any
kernel message) and shortly after that the fans go at full power until I
turn the computer off.

I have managed to compile subversion (and the machine survived the
compilations), but then it would repeatedly hang while checking out the
ports tree.  Actually, it hung enough many times to finally corrupt the
filesystem causing kernel panic.

Since it generally works for a while after booting, I can provide more
information, but I don't know where to look.  This is meant to be a
"server-like" box, so there are some things that I would consider
disabling in the kernel, if that would get it to become stable.

Any input as to what to do next will be appreciated.

-Krzysztof