Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:18:23 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        tamiji@me.com, Justin Hibbits <jhibbits@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11 on PowerBook G4

Justin Hibbits jhibbits at freebsd.org wrote on Thu Nov 10 19:31:10 UTC =
2016

> Try setting at the loader kern.vty=3Dsc, to use
> syscons instead of it.

The KERNCONF's GENERIC for powerpc and GENERIC64 for powerpc64 do not =
include syscons: -r265868 replaced "device sc" with "device vt" for =
GENERIC. As I understand for GENERIC64 such was in part because the PS3 =
support was incompatible with having both syscons and vt so syscons was =
dropped when vt was added (-r265871): the same sort of replacement. =
These changes date back to 2014-May. (SC_OFWFB and SC_DFLT_FONT lines =
were also removed when vt was added.)

One of the things my personal powerpc64 (PowerMac G5) FreeBSD builds do =
beyond the hack for allowing reliable 64-bit G5 booting is to disable =
PS3 and enable/include syscons (sc) in addition to vt. (Nathan W. gave =
me the hint to do this long ago, to address some large screen handing =
issues in vt at the time if I remember right: for the large screen I =
could then switch to sc (syscons) instead.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net