Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 1999 16:36:43 -0700
From:      Steve Madsen <steve@dvart.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Poor TCP performance between 2.2.5 and 2.2.8

I realize this may be not very important since work is mostly being done on
3.x and 4.x these days, but I observed some really poor TCP performance
between a 2.2.5 box and a 2.2.8 box the other day.  I was using scp to copy
a large files (80-some MB) from the 2.2.5 box to the 2.2.8 box.  Not only
was performance bad, but the 2.2.5 box actually had trouble servicing X
sessions to other people.  Their X sessions timed out and went away.  Other
than this transfer, the LAN was lightly loaded.

I'd have to go back and try this again to get solid data, but I was curious
if anyone had seen something like this in the past.  I searched the mailing
list archives and didn't find anything related.

The 2.2.5 box has a 3Com EtherLink III and the 2.2.8 box has a 3Com 3c905 IIRC.

Using a Linux machine as a middleman worked around the problem; the 2.2.5
box had no problem sending a huge file to the Linux machine and the 2.2.8
box had no problems receiving the same large file from the Linux box.  The
problem was limited to the two machines talking to each other.

--
Steve Madsen <steve@dvart.com>
Digital Video Art, Inc.