Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:34:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: 2 queries]

>Well, I try to keep things simple.  Fact is, a router has less to break
> down than
> a "Gateway Machine", and the router is designed for that specific task.
> You don't
> usually have to worry about people compromising the router because of
> software
> issues, and well... it's smaller and more efficient.  Just my .02

There is a flip side to this. I had a power supply failure in a cisco
early on a Saturday morning. Cisco needed $400 to get one to me by
Monday morning. If it had been a FreeBSD or Linux box, me, a screwdriver
and $30 could have got it back up in an hour.

Now I have fours BGP peers each feeding me 60k routes hanging off a
beefy $3500 PC and I've pushed 75 mbits of traffic thru it (in tests
between ethernet segments) with a full routing table. I have another
beefy $3500 PC that I'm going to move two of the peers too. Gonna
run dual parallel ethernet backbones (dual home all of my servers
on the two backbones) and thus eliminate any single point of failure
be it an ethernet card, cable, hub, router or whatever. To do the same
with cisco equipment would require a pair of cisco 7xxx series routers
with multiple serial and five ethernet interfaces each -- roughly $120k
worth of hardware, my two FreeBSD boxes were slightly less :-). Sure my
equipment is going to fail once in a while, physical devices always do. If
I properly design my network, it won't matter. Sure some things are
missing in the software I use (gated), like communities and confederations
in BGP, NSSA in OSPF, and Equal Cost Multipath Routing in the kernel --
but that hasn't been an impediment (actually it has been good by forcing
me to stick to fundamentals).

-

Barrett