Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 03:55:21 -0800
From:      "D. W. Piper" <dwplists@loop.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Way OT but desperate - Linux fsck problem

I apologize for the OT message, but I'm bleary-eyed from searching
online documentation and archives and I'm hoping some of you gurus out
there who have experience with Linux as well as FreeBSD may have a
solution:

We've got a RedHat 6.0 box (Intel PIII) with a Mylex DAC960 Hardware
RAID Controller configured for RAID-5 with seven 9GB SCSI drives.

We had to reboot the system last night, and on restart fsck failed for
the RAID device with the error message:

    Block bitmap for group 256 is not in group

followed by

    /dev/rd/c0d2p1: Unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually

Running fsck manually produced the error message:

    e2fsck: bad magic number in superblock while trying to open
/dev/rd/c0d2p1

Trying again using e2fsck -B and varying block sizes of 1024, 2048, etc
got:

    Group descriptor look bad... trying backup blocks
    e2fsck: bad magic number in superblock while trying to open
/dev/rd/c0d2p1

However, the DAC controller's consistency check completed at 100% with
no errors, and the driver reported no problems during boot.

Is there anything that can be done to solve this and save the
filesystem?

Thanks,

David