Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:19:04 -0500
From:      graydon hoare <admin@multinet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56K vs X2?

ok I've been watching people argue this one for a couple of days now and
have only one question, the answer to which (I believe) solves the whole
56k problem:

	Are these modems (digital banks, singletons, etc.)
	simply DSPs with soft-upgradable microcode?

if they are, then you can buy anything and be assured that at very least
all you have to do is spend a day squirting changes into them and
they'll run OK with whatever the standard of the week is.

if they're not, you MUST, no matter what, no matter who you're talking
to, MUST buy units which conform to the largest industry standard.

this is the pivotal question, right?

Does anyone actually know, 100% KNOW, which of the 56k modems in
question are actually like this, and which of them have their protocols
`burned' in?

-graydon <admin@multinet.net>
aw shucks I musta been tuned to the wrong frequency