Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 09:26:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Southworth <pauls@locust.etext.org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MySQL using FreeBSD native threads (3.0)

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:

:Care to just post the questions?

These were sent to jb@cimlogic.com.au but that address bounces now (a
couple weeks ago it worked, but the mailhost there has been unreachable
for a week or so).

If you have any answers to these, please copy me since I do not subscribe
to the hackers list currently.

The questions below refer to porting MySQL to use FreeBSD native threads;
the work is being done using the 3.0-970618-SNAP release.

1) There isn't a sched.h file.  pthread.h have prototypes for some functions
   that uses sched_param but it's a little problem to use them now :)

2) I looked into /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/pthread_priv.h and found
   the following:

----
struct sched_param {
        int     prio;	/* Should be named sched_priority */
        void    *no_data;
};

enum schedparam_policy {
        SCHED_RR,
        SCHED_IO,
        SCHED_FIFO,
        SCHED_OTHER
};
----

Shouldn't this be in a sched.h file ?
It would also be nice if 'prio' would be renamed 'sched_priority'. I
think this is the standard slot name (at least all other pthread
implementation uses this)

3) The following functions are not defined:
   pthread_setprio(), pthread_attr_setprio(),pthread_attr_setscope()

   When do you think these will be available?

4) I have now fixed workarounds for the above cases. All code compiles
   and links clean but when run a test program, pthread_create doesn't
   start a thread.  Should threads work at all in FreeBSD 3.0 ?