Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:36:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        batie@agora.rdrop.com, danny@panda.hilink.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jas@flyingfox.com, jfarmer@goldsword.com, joe@thebestisp.com
Subject:   Re: Fw: FreeBSD firewall questions

Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:35:44 -0800 Alan Batie said:
>On Thu, Feb 12, 1998 at 06:21:45PM +1100, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>> And if the two computers are right next to each other, why not use coax?
>> It seems to have gone out of fashion, somewhat, but it still works.
>
>At least it does if you wiggle the connectors just right...

Why?  Properly installed coax (10base-2 for the newcomers) can and will
work just fine.  The original part of "sword-net" (what I call our
internal network when I want to tweek someone...) is coax.  Not a bit
of problem in 4+ years of continuous operation.  Now the new parts are
cat 5 10base-T (easier to install, move equipment, etc.).

I have clients with 10base2 nets (large ones!) that have been in use 6
or more years without noticable problems.  Heck, they finally replaced
some 10base10 (original Ethernet with vampire taps) segments in the
last year or so!  (Went to fiber for the distances...)

John	(Sometimes the old tech is the working tech...)