Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 1999 17:53:54 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Cc:        mrc@ChipChat.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPS Timing Interface and ONCORE GPS Clock / NTPD

I was using ntp-4.0.98a.
After reading your message I understand the source of my trouble.
I downloaded and compiled ntp-4.0.98d
This ntp-4.0.98d is now working OK.

I normally read the -Stable Mailing List, but missed your message
because I unsubscribed temporarily to reduce email while travelling (to FreeBSDCon).
A search on the -Stable Mailing List for 'pps' did not turn up any recent messages.
(I thought the trouble was with 'pps' because of the 'lppps0' entry in 'dmesg')
After receiving Kevin Rowe's reply I searched the -Stable mailing list
for 'ntpd' and your message turned up.  I should have also searched for 'ntpd'.

My thanks to both John Hay and Kevin J. Rowe for quick replies and helpful information.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat

jhay> You don't say which version of ntp you are using. If you are using something
jhay> older than ntp-4.0.98b, please read the message I sent on Oct 16 to
jhay> freebsd-stable with the subject line:
jhay>
jhay> HEADS UP: ntpd users
jhay>
jhay> If you are using ntp-4.0.98b or later tell me and I will look into it,
jhay> because it is working for me.
jhay>
jhay> John
jhay> --
jhay> John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za
jhay>
jhay> mrc> SUMMARY:
jhay> mrc>   ONCORE GPS Clock source for NTPD on FreeBSD was working
jhay> mrc> with 3.3-Stable (Oct 8 1999). With 3.3-Stable (Nov 4 1999)
jhay> mrc> NTPD fails with a 'time_pps_setparams: Inappropriate ioctl for device'
jhay> mrc> message.  It seems that '/dev/pps' may have been changed to '/dev/lppps0'
     <snip>