Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2020 14:12:30 -0600
From:      D'Arcy Cain <darcy@druid.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting /usr/local from NFS

I am not sure why I am having a problem but it may be related to this.
I am mounting /usr/local from a master machine in the office.  I also
mount /home and a few local directories.  Everything seems to work OK
except that local rc.d scripts aren't running.  For example, I have
xdm_enable set in rc.conf but when I boot it doesn't start.  I look at
/var/log/messages and I don't see anything about xdm, not even errors.

After it boots I can do "service xdm restart" and it starts just fine.

I wonder if this is because /usr/local is mounted too late for rc to see
the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  I tried to figure out the variable
"mountcritremote" but I can't find any documentation on it.  I tried
setting it to "YES" and "/usr/local" but it didn't help.

The same issue happens with postfix which is the other program I am
running from ports.

So, first question is, does this seem like a likely explanation for what
I am seeing?  Second question is how do I fix this either way?

Cheers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.