Date:      Mon, 17 May 2010 14:17:48 -0400
From:      Todd Wasson <tsw5@duke.edu>
To:        Mark Stapper <stark@mapper.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs drive replacement issues

> Hello,
> You could try exporting and importing the pool with three disks.
> Then make sure the "new" drive isn't part of any zpool (low-level =
format?).
> Then try a "replace" again.
> Have fun!
>=20

Hi Mark, I was about to try this, but I just tried putting the "old" =
(damaged) drive back in the pool and detaching the "new" drive from the =
pool, which I've tried before, but for some reason this time it =
succeeded.  I was then able to "zpool offline" the old drive, physically =
replace it with the new one, and "zpool replace" the old one with the =
new one.  It just finished successfully resilvering, and apparently =
everything is working well.  I'm going to initiate a scrub to be sure =
that everything is alright, but I'm fairly sure that the problem is =
solved.  I didn't do anything that I hadn't already tried, so I don't =
know why it worked this time, but I'm not complaining.  Thanks to =
everyone for your help; at the very least, the idea of putting the =
original drive back into the machine and mucking around with it led me =
in the right direction.  Next time I'll be sure to issue an offline =
command before replacing a device!

Thanks again.

Todd=