Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/32667: systat waste too much time reading input

The following reply was made to PR bin/32667; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:33:56 +1100 (EST)

 On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

 > On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 05:30:02 PST, Bruce Evans wrote:
 >
 > >  This seems to be because the VM_METER sysctl is increadibly slow.  It
 > >  takes 13 msec here on an Athlon1600XP system with 512MB memory, but
 > >  "only" 3 msec on a Celeron366 system with 256MB memory.
 >
 > Are you sure?
 >
 > The originator reports that the following patch (which he sent me in
 > private) makes the symptoms go away.  Is it just because it reduces the
 > number of queries to no more than 1 per second?

 I didn't notice the redirection of stdin in the PR and found a completely
 different problem: "systat -v 1" shows itself taking 1.5% overhead on one
 system.  This is mostly from one syscall that takes 13+ msec being called
 every second.  I guess it could take even longer on a machine with more
 mmory and/or more processes.

 Bruce