Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:53:57 -0700
From:      mdickerson@officeonweb.net
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   connecting to sendmail very slow

Howdy hi,

Sorry if this is a bit OT (or archived and I couldn't find it).

I have sendmail 8.9.3 running on 3.5 S.

Lately (month or so), sending mail via that server is pretty slow (the
initial connection). The problem is that the initial connection takes 7-10
seconds before connecting (sendmail actually accepting the mail), then
everything hums along fine (once the connection is acknowledged, it zips
along nicely).

More Details:
-This machine typically has a load of < .10 (single processor)
-top shows it sitting idle mostly
-sendmail.cf is mostly a stock variety (out of the box)
  - only additions are procmail, pop before smtp(sourceforge), and rbl(ordb)
-if I telnet to port 25, sockstat on the machine shows the existing
connection as the remote telnet waits the 7-10 seconds (so it appears not
to be a network delay)
-I can ssh just fine with no delay (so it's likely not a DNS issue?)
-traceroutes to the box consistently show less than  ~110 ms (it get that
slow when i hit qwest - not to slam them)
-I have flushed the queue and HUP'd it with no change in performance

I am cornfused and seek enlightenment.

I appreciate any suggestions.

TIA,

Mike Dickerson