Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:21:18 +0100
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation and memory leaks

+ Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>:

| Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
| >
| > I'd like to draw your attention to a problem report I sent in a while
| > back, namele Problem Report kern/22826 "Memory limits have no effect
| > in linux compatibility":
| >
| >   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=22826
|
| Note to ML: I investigated the problem and identified that the problem
| is in ournative mmap(). See PR for details.

Surely, *one* problem is with mmap(), and I appreciate your looking
into it.  But from my experience (acrobat reader grows like crazy on
freebsd, stays very bounded on linux) I suspect that once you've fixed
the mmap() bug, acroread will start dying on freebsd while it
keeps running on linux.

But maybe the best strategy is to wait until mmap() is fixed, and then
see what happens to acroread afterwards.  Fix one problem before you
tackle the next, etc.

- Harald