Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:11:15 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   More hostap weirdness

The AP is a Netgear MA401 in a Netgear MA301 in an ordinary machine
running FreeBSD 4.6.

Machine A is a Dell laptop running Windows XP with a Dell-badged
Orinocco gold card.

Machine B is a Sony Vaio laptop running XP or FreeBSD 4.6 (dual-boot)
with another Netgear MA401.

Machine A always works correctly.

Machine B works correctly when running FreeBSD 4.6, but when it's
running XP with the MA401 driver (which, perversely enough does not do
the "new" Windows XP 802.11b thing), it only works correctly with WEP
disabled.

It *used* to work ok with a "real" access point (a Linksys), and it
works fine under FreeBSD, but there's something that is keeping the
Netgear Windows driver from negotiating any sort of WEP (64 or 128 bit)
with a hostap mode.

For what it's worth, I tried applying the most recent -current diffs. No
help.

The configurator help>about lists the config utility as 4.06.4.7 (jan
12, 2001), the driver at 0.29.4 (Apr 3, 2001), and the NIC firmware as
00.08.03.00 (ID:S10008C3). I can't find anything on their web site any
newer than this.