Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:08:07 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

On Nov 21,  6:04pm, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
} >> } You don't. The purpose of this hack is to distinguish between two
} >> } different source trees which are extracted using exactly the same
} >> } (head of a branch) tag, but at different times.
} >> }
} >> } We should also be using a CVS/RCS macro to tell us what tag we used for
} >> } the extraction. This information should also get included in the system
} >> } identification.
} >>
} >> Couldn't this solve the original problem as well?  If you are extracting
} >> at the head of a branch, we've already got the branch tag info, so we
} >> just need to set the date macro to the time of the extraction.
}
} No! The time of cvs extraction is not what matters at all.

What about the most recent timestamp in the history file for that branch?
If you use "-r <branch_tag>:<date>", the most recent timestamp in the
history file that is older than "<date>" should be used.

This assumes that folks who use cloned copies of the CVS tree possess copies
of the history file from the master CVS tree.