Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:22:48 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>, FreeBSD Security Mailling List <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tripwire for Dummies

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group wrote:

> In message <1025280108.2819.27.camel@jan-linux.lan>, Jan Lentfer writes:
>
> > could someone be so kind and point my nose to a configuration How-To of
> > Tripwire for a dummie like me?
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about configuring the Tripwire 2.3 port,
> not the 1.2 or 1.3 ports.  If so, here is a good document to start you
> off.
>
> http://download.sourceforge.net/tripwire/tripwire-2.3.0-docs-pdf.tar.gz

Since the topic has come up, I thought I'd mention that I just sent in a
port for 'l5', a minimalist tool which might be a good substitute for
tripwire in some circumstances.

This is far simpler than tripwire - it just recurses file trees and lists
file details, including MD5 sums.  Whatever checks you want to run can
then be implemented using other simple tools like diff, grep and sed, or
perhaps with perl.

Andrew McNaughton