Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:18:27 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
To:        Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0 installation, and Xorg in particular

Freminlins wrote:
> I used to find FreeBSD easy. What has happened? I have a couple of machines
> I usually install new versions on, one is headless the other is a desktop
> machine (which was a 100% reliable 5.4 installation). I boot the headless
> machine using floppies, then install across the net. But something has
> happened such that I now need five floppies, and I have to put the boot one
> in at least twice. This wasn't the case previously. It now reminds me of an
> OS/2 installation with its floppy shuffling.

No idea about floppies.

> Then for my desktop machine. sysinstall crashes if I try to install x.org.

The pain of using a beta-install. No packages included. Wait for the release.

> So I do a pkg_add -r xorg. After about 70 packages I give up. I only used to
> have about 65 packages in total on my old desktop, now I need more than 70
> and I haven't even got x windows up yet. So I go off and have a look and
> discover that x.org 7.x is modular - "

Which is a blessing for maintenance.

> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/unix/bsd/archives/xorg-72-on-freebsd-13661". This
> fellow is talking about 300 packages just for x.org! This is nuts. No two
> ways about it. Whoever decided to do this needs their head (or heads)
> examined. ...

It's not like there's more stuff being installed. Only you can be more
selective about which parts you need and don't need. And you don't have to
rebuild all of xorg for a little update.

> It used to be so simple. Now it's not. If x.org didn't work for
> some reason I wouldn't want to track down which of hundreds of packages is
> missing. Who would?

That's what the x11/xorg meta-port is for.

> Also, I noticed that python as well as perl was being
> installed. Is not one scripting language enough for x.org? Why are two
> needed?

I suggest you take a look at what depends on them (pkg_info). You will have
the answer, then. None of them is required to run FreeBSD.