Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:05:39 +0500
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which pop3 and imap server to take from ports collection ?

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> What pop/imap servers are stable and perform well ?
>
> imap-uw from Washington university ???
>
> Or is popper recommended for use for pop2/3 ?

There is also Cyrus (imap + pop3).

I took an interest in it, because I needed IMAP, and had security and stability
problems with imap-uw.

It seems to be more powerful and secure than imap-uw.
I have installed it at my server a month ago. Works fine.
[ If somebody got problems with Cyrus, please tell me. ]
One disadvantage (at the first look) is uncompatible format of mailboxes.
Our users had to migrate to Cyrus server from imap-uw on antoher host by
first moving their mail folders to local hosts, then to Cyrus server.

But Cyrus provides creation of shareable mail folders with very flexible
access permissions - great advantage for collaboration, as I think.

It can be integrated easily into distribution's sendmail by few lines
in .mc file.

And what I liked most is Cyrus' ability to trace IMAP protocol
on session basis. It was incredibly helpful while setting up
Netscape Communicator and Pine IMAP clients to work with IMAP server.

By the way, a question on another side of IMAP: have anybody set up
Netscape Communicator (Mail) under UNIX to work wuth IMAP server?
I have failed with NC 4.04-Release for FreeBSD and Solaris 2.4, with both
imap-uw and Cyrus.
NC for Windows works almost fine.

--
	Konstantin V. Chuguev.		System administrator of
					Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,