Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:57:09 -0500
From:      Jay Bratcher <jayb@netjava.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free BSD and Windows

Gary Kline wrote:

>         I've been meaning to ask the entire group the following
>         questions(s) about OS bootloaders, since it seems that
>         FBSD lacks a very powerful one.  How hard would it be
>         for someone who understands this problem to write a loader
>         that would be powerful and configurable?
>
>         It probably requires an in-depth understanding of how PC's
>         work with DOS; how the BIOS talks to the disk(s).  Writing
>         a loader that worked with any PC-Unix would be a major win.
>
>         After 5 weeks of trying to dual-boot FBSD and Debian, I
>         gave up.   Shouldn't be this hard, but is.
>
>         gary kline

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ported (or tried porting) lilo to
FreeBSD?  Lilo seems a bit more flexible than booteasy.  Better yet, has
anyone tried running lilo under the Linux emulation?  All lilo does is
parse a config file and write a MBR from a set of data files.  The only
problem that is immediately obvious is with device naming conventions.
I haven't done much with the Linux emulation, so I'm not sure how it
handles device names.  On the other hand, I know lilo will boot FreeBSD,
DOS, Win[95|NT], and OS/2.  There are some special requirements for
FreeBSD, but nothing which wouldn't be considered if you were going
dual-boot anyway.

Jay