Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 20:41:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Mikel Lindsaar <mikel@cynet.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual Hosting and Apache

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Mikel Lindsaar wrote:

[stuff deleted which looks fine]

> I have organised the following DNS entries to be put in their appropriate
> files:
>
> www.my.com.au.  IN A  203.24.16.10  <== "unused" IP Address
> www.au.some.com.  IN A  203.24.16.12  <== "unused" IP Address 10  IN PTR
> www.my.com.au.
> 12  IN PTR  www.au.some.com.

?  Why *unused*?  You need to *use* them.

ifconfig ed0 203.24.16.10 alias
ifconfig ed0 203.24.16.12 alias

I have a class C network dedicated to VWS and tell my router that the WWW
server host is the gateway for the network.  In fact, all of the IP
addresses (1-254) are aliases on lo0.

> Does anyone see any problems with this?
No.

> And can I keep doing this until I
> run out of system resources (ram, hdd, processor speed)?

Yes.

> Does the virtual hosting only apply to complete domains?  Or can you
> virtual host a single name of a domain?  Such as in the above example,
> creating an entry for computer1.cynet.net.au when the httpd process is
> running on www.cynet.net.au?

Only applies to IP addresses.  Except that Apache+Netscape will negotiate
a name.  This will become more common, but meanwhile, it applies to IP
addresses.  Any name you point at the IP address via a A or CNAME, will work.

regards,

Danny