Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 13:36:30 -0400
From:      admin@mail.multinet.net (graydon hoare)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broken statically linked ls problem

Hi. I have installed beta-11 of wu_ftpd 2.4 academ, and am attempting to
convince it to give directory listings to my anonymous logins. I have read
that this problem is due primarily to the chroot that ftpd does, so I did:
make -D NOSHARED  and ls came out some hundred and sixty K. ldd ls says it
is not a dynamic binary, and it runs fine as /ftp/bin/ls from any login
shell, but when it's accessed through the ftpd I still get no directory
listings. Any suggestions as to what ELSE I might be doing wrong?
It's not a permissions problem cause if you know the pathnames you can read
and write properly based on the permissions I set up. ftpdaccess doesn't
seem to have any fields that specify who gets to read directories or not, I
can't figure what else it could be. Maybe I didn't specify enough fancy
footwork during the make of ls -- are there any other flags that are
relevant here?

thanks -graydon <admin@multinet.net>