Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 08:43:09 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Tony Saign" <tony@saign.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Perl scripts that monitor network connection?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Saign" <tony@saign.com>
To: <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 9:28 PM
Subject: Perl scripts that monitor network connection?

> Recently (last night) for 3 hours my connection was experiencing
some
> SERIOUS problems!
> (i.e. destination net unreachable, up to 47% packet from my router
> theirs etc.)
>
> This made me realize I need to monitor this connection VERY closely.
> Until the issues are resolved.
>
> Can anyone recommend any network connection monitoring scripts that
> could be scheduled as cron jobs, and possibly emails the results to
me?
> Or a good open-source package?

I've been experimenting with Big Brother.  It's free for personal or
non-profit use an is nothing more than a collection of perl scripts
that produces web pages showing system and connectivity status.
Because it's perl, it's highly customizable.  You can get it from
their website at http://www.bb4.com.

HTH,

Drew