Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 19:51:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (FWD) QPOPPER REMOTE ROOT EXPLOIT (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Igor Roshchin -----

> > > THere seems to be yet another similar buffer overflow
> > > in pop_log.c
> >
> > Fixed.  Please cvsup the latest ports collection and make sure
> > that ports/mail/popper is updated - all the new patches are in
> > ports/mail/popper/patches/patch-ag.
> >
> > - Jordan
> >

> Jordan,
>
> I've just downloaded "popper" directory from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/.25/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/mail
> It is still missing patch for the "UIDL" problem
> (pop_dropcopy.c)
>
> Several people had suggestion looking like:
> if (strlen(cp) >= 128) cp[127] = 0;
>
> before the line 497 as it appears in that file after patch-ad is applied.
> (originally, I believe, before  459 )
>
> May be I am missing something, but I don't think that patch-ad,  which is
> so far the only patch realted to pop_dropcopy.c addressed this problem
>
> Regards,
>
> IgoR

Some more on this issue:

I've update popper from 2.4b2.
With the patches applied, popper 2.41beta1 (on a 2.2.5-RELEASE) dumps core
just on any connection.
Am I missing something ?

alecto: [19:25] [471] ~>telnet mailhost.somedomain.com pop3
escape character is '^Y'.
Trying 209.125.17.11...
Connected to mailhost.somedomain.com.
Escape character is '^Y'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
alecto: [19:25] [472] ~>l  /tmp/STRING                                         -rw-------    1 igor     group   48406 Jun 27 02:44 /tmp/STRING

Jun 27 20:25:40 mailhost /kernel: pid 13587 (popper), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

IgoR

----- End of forwarded message from Igor Roshchin -----