Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 20:03:09 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>, Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: news server source for 95/NT

"Pedro F. Giffuni" wrote in message ID
<33975D5E.2039@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>:
> (Hmm.. I don't want a FBSD vs NT war, ...not on this list :-) ).

Me neither :)

> As I stated privately to an NT enthusiast, even if the performance tests
> gave the contrary results of what we see today, I would still prefer
> FreeBSD because it's free and I don't depend on M$. I'm not at all
> interested in going to the old scheme of buying a C compiler and many
> user licenses in addition to the OS.

Actually, there is another reason to ignore MOST commercial OSs for
USENET News server deployment (unless you can also get the source
license). Basically, there are SOO many tweaks you can make to get
extra performance out of the box (like Clayton O'Neills cunning patch
to allow you to open files by inode numbers, saving you doing
directory tree traversal, and keeping the majority of CPU in userland
rather tha in the kernel) that a commercial OS would stop you from
doing.

(Unless, of course, you go with Sprint, MCI and BBN and get the
 Cyclone News `router')

Gary