Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:30:14 +0200
From:      "Andrei A. Dergatchev" <A.Dergatchev@tn.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

Q. How much time average University physics professor will
need to spent to find if a given voltage is 220 V or 110 V if left
without voltmeter ?
A. Several hours for most of them.

"Something new" is indeed a crucial issue here imho. When one is
confronted with unknown, there is no choice but to investigate, and
without experience of how to investigate things fast in this particular
field it will take sizeable chunk of the day. To understand something
"sufficiently well" one got to have _a lot_ of time to learn, because
one have to *know* beforehand.

However, there are advantageous points - nowadays Internet is
everywhere in academia, Linux/*BSD are popular and I know
a lot of student are tinkering with the code just for fun of it.
So, probably when these guys are going out, one in business
and another in support, it does make sense for them to talk
like that :-) - if both engineer of the client and consultant know how
to deal with problems, than it can work out eventually :-)
Rest of us who are not lucky enough to have such knowledge
got to bother about having the docs ;-)

Andrei