Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:45:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      gahn <ipfreak@yahoo.com>
To:        Aaron Gibson <agibson@confabulator.net>
Cc:        freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Telecom

i am not familar with the FPGA board. but my point was
that the stability of kernel (freebsd) is different
from that of routing software (rpd in the case of
junos, it has modules like is-is, ospf, bgp, mpls,
rsvp, etc). people who architected the junos are the
same group of people who coded original cisco ios.
they had learned the heavy lessons from the past
experience and craft rfcs ...

asic and FPGA are more concerned with packet
forwarding/performance, buffer management and so
forth, not the stability of routing daemons.