Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:08:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warner's PCI Modem Driver

In message <Pine.OSF.4.10.10001261139530.31609-100000@saul4.u.washington.edu> "Jason C. Wells" writes:
: sio0: <Generic communications device, maybe winmodem> rev 0x08 int a irq
: 9 on pci0.18.0
: sio2: pci sio unit 0 moved to sio2 at 0x6100
: sio2: pci unit 0 probe failed
:
: I am told that the modem is not a winmodem, but I don't know how to tell
: by looking at it. The modem is a Phoebe. The documentation for it is
: sparse.

You may be being lied to, imho. :-) The probe failed means that it was
unable to talk to it even as a 8250.

: It would seem to me that my device is configured except that pesky
: "probe failed" message. Is my PCI modem working? What am I missing?
: Should I move my sio device numbers around so that the PCI modem doesn't
: get moved to sio2?

No.

That the modem likely isn't a pci controller based modem.

No.  The pci code does that on its own and will always do that.

How much did you pay for this board?  If it is < $80 then you likely
have a winmodem.  Or at least a controllerless modem.  Also, what
chipset does it use?

: P.S. I apologize for not being subscribed. I am between ISPs due to a
: recent move and have not yet resubscribed to -stable. I did search the
: archives before writing.

Relax.  You've done nothing wrong.

Warner