Date:      Tue, 05 Jul 2016 09:56:25 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Sol=C3=A8ne?= <solene@perso.pw>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to make smooth USB access available to Virtualbox vm

Le 2016-07-05 01:35, Manish Jain a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am running VirtualBox under FreeBSD 10.2 amd64. I created a Windows
> XP
> vm for some work I need to do. The vm needs data which I placed on a
> USB
> pen drive. I added a filter under VirtualBox to pass the pen drive to
> the vm and then started the vm. The pen drive for some reason is not
> smoothly visible to the vm - the icon for removable drive in the vm
> keeps coming and going every 1-2 seconds. I think the problem is the
> Gnome3 desktop environment and VirtualBox are competing for the USB pen
> drive. On the host FreeBSD system, I repeatedly get error messages
> "Unable to mount volume" - some error related to HALD. I tried setting
> hald_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf and then rebooted FreeBSD. Upon
> restart, the situation remains the same - the vm does not see the pen
> drive long enough for the data to be copied out.
>
> Can someone please help me ? What I want is that the pen drive is under
> the control of VirtualBox, with no interference from the desktop
> environment.
>

> Thanks for any help.

Hello,

I am not sure this is possible, the handbook contains contradiction
about usb support :

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-host-virtualbox.html

On the top it's said that you need to install extension pack to get USB
but that this pack isn't available on FreeBSD

> but with closed-source components available in a separate extension
> pack. These components include support for USB 2.0 devices.
> More information may be found on the “Downloads” page of the
> VirtualBox™ wiki. Currently, these extensions are not available for
> FreeBSD.

And in the middle of the page, there is a section about "21.6.2.
VirtualBox™ USB Support"

The official wiki confirms that USB2/USB3 supports is given by
installing extensions

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#settings-usb