Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:42:46 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Pascal Hofstee <daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

	Please don't cross post to -questions and -stable. If your issue is
pertinent to -stable you should post it there.

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 2:22 PM +0200 1999/9/6, Pascal Hofstee wrote:
>
> > As has been stated several times before and can also be read in the
> > UPDATING file (at least on 4.0-CURRENT)
>
>         I read the /usr/src/UPDATING file, and noted a number of things
> had changed.  Once I got make world finally done (after about three
> hours), I rebooted and started work on configuring my new kernel.

	You should always make the new kernel before rebooting. Changes between
kernel and userland can cause you big problems.

>         I ran into some problems with a number of things that had changed
> in the format of kernel configs, but the biggest thing I've run
> across so far is the fact that Berkeley Packet Filtering (bpf) is now
> enabled by default, as opposed to disabled by default.
>
>         This opens a *huge* security risk

	Someone else already mentioned that if you expect to track -stable you
need to read the list. This has been discussed to death already, and the
only risk it opens up is for those whose machines have already had a root
compromise. The feeling is that if you're already that far down the road,
the person can enable bpf if they really want it.

> Are we really sure that the FreeBSD Inc. has
> sufficiently increased it's liability insurance to cover the
> potentially multi-million dollar lawsuits that might result from this
> change?

	I hope that this is a joke, but just in case it isn't, the copyright
_clearly_ states that the software is provided AS IS. You assume _all_
responsibility for its use, misuse, abuse, reuse, and any other kind of use
you can think of.

Hope this helps,

Doug