Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:18:43 -0500
From:      Dave Goodrich <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 4.1 to 4.5 - ppp problems

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:13:08PM -0500, dave pixelhammer.com pop3 ftp wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 01:37:18AM +0100, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:10:20PM -0500, dave pixelhammer.com pop3 ftp wrote:
> > What happens if you use the 4.5 generic kernel?
>
> Same result
> >
> > Why stop at the almost a year old 4.5?  4.7 is out (as downloadable ISO
> > images at least) and is looking good.  Alternatively, I assume that
> > 4.6.2 CDs are available now.
>
> Well... The Toshiba uses the Topic chipset which has had some trouble in the past. I also have a habit of waiting to avoid any "new" problems. I try to stay with a slightly older version of any OS making upgrades where security calls for it.
>
> I had planned though to use this laptop to follow "stable", so if I could get it logged on I'll upgrade at that time.
> >
> > Is your modem actually on cuaa4?  The fifth serial port?  What does
> > "grep sio /var/run/dmesg.boot" say?
>
> Yes, dmesg shows the pcmcia card is inserted and correctly identified on sio4.
> curiously, I rebooted today and did not have the device error! But I do have a problem now with a chat script failure when logging in to my ISP, which is incidently enough, me. This brings the entire story around to the begining which I will tell in a new thread.
>
> For now the problem seems to have disapeared, reason unknown. Four cold starts later cuaa4 is working.

Well I found the problem and the solution. I set the BIOS to 16bit
compatible and everything is working now, in win98 and FreeBSD. Apparently
when reinstalling the BIOS got reset to auto instead of 16bit mode.

I still do not fully understand why it worked immediately after the
installs completed. The one thing I did afterward was to insert both cards
and restart into Windows and FreeBSD. That is when it quit working, until
I changed the BIOS.

DAve
--
My other computer is your Windows machine...