Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:11:59 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fave Window Manager... found it.

Finally settled on a favorite Window manager, one that's neither too
complicated nor too feature-free for this newbie -- it happens to be fvwm2
(no laughing, now, this is fvwm2, not plain old fvwm).  I spent a good part
of the day today configuring it the way I like (getting colors of different
things to all look good together is tough if you're not a graphic designer
or used to designing GUIs).  Looks pretty nice, runs what I want it to run,
can be easily configured to run anything else, and the built in modules are
nice (except that the 'backer' module seems broken - it doesn't work the
way it's stated in the docs, and won't change desktop background colors,
nor set a pixmap for a background.  Any info on this from anyone in the know?

BTW, for those who want a REALLY simple but basically featureless window
manager, ctwm might be the choice for you... might be good for a REALLY raw
newbie.  It's so simple and easy to use it's disgusting, but you can't do
anything much with it.

Tried Afterstep and Windowmaker and decided I didn't much care for either -
couldn't figure them out, really... (expecially Windowmaker.. gave me all
kinds of headaches trying to get icons onto new program 'squares'), and
Enlightenment is  just too ridiculously graphical for my tastes.  Fvwm95
isn't bad, but why use a  fake imitation of Win95... and KDE was completely
beyond me (I couldn't even get it up and running except for a brief flash
of the desktop followed by being kicked back out of X)...so fvwm2 it is
until I graduate from newbie to intermediate status anyway.

Tim

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.