Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2021 00:04:15 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Deprecating base system ftpd?

Dave Cottlehuber wrote:=0A=
>> On 03/04/2021 22:39, Ed Maste wrote:=0A=
>> > I propose deprecating the ftpd currently included in the base system=
=0A=
>> > before FreeBSD 14, and opened review D26447=0A=
>> > (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26447) to add a notice to the man page.=
=0A=
>> > I had originally planned to try to do this before 13.0, but it dropped=
=0A=
>> > off my list. FTP is not nearly as relevant now as it once was, and it=
=0A=
>> > had a security vulnerability that secteam had to address.=0A=
>> >=0A=
>> > I'm happy to make a port for it if anyone needs it. Comments?=0A=
>=0A=
>+1 for port. I suspect I last used an FTPd in anger sometime in late 90s,=
=0A=
>and I surmise this is the vast majority.=0A=
>=0A=
>We will have a very small # of users who require FTPd at all, to make thei=
r=0A=
>systems useful.=0A=
And I bet there are not a lot of users that need caesar, fortune, ...=0A=
to make their system useful either. If the goal is to strip the system=0A=
down, there are lots of stuff not needed in /usr/src.=0A=
=0A=
>An even smaller # of those users will be unable to use FreeBSD if FTPd is=
=0A=
>only available in a pkg.=0A=
Yep. But it's a bit of a bother, although I can definitely live with one in=
=0A=
ports.=0A=
=0A=
>For those objecting, are you *really* in that latter category -- are=0A=
>these boxes running without a single port/package installed?=0A=
At the moment I have one called "git", plus the dozens of things=0A=
it pulls in.=0A=
=0A=
>When 13.0 goes EOL, somewhere after 2025, will you *still* need ftpd in=0A=
>14.0 base? It seems a reasonable delay, even for a large corporate, to=0A=
>accommodate this change, which can be done in less time than reading=0A=
>this email.=0A=
No more or less convenient than now.=0A=
=0A=
>Ian's point about preserving paths is a reasonable one, but I had to add=
=0A=
>an ntpd user in last updates, this would be less difficult.=0A=
>=0A=
>Eugene mentioned the convenience of ftpd in the same sentence as ipsec.=0A=
>I'm willing to bet those systems have ports installed too.=0A=
>=0A=
>If speed is an issue, HTTP supports pipelining, compression, chunked=0A=
>encoding, & parallel connections. I'm not sure ftpd is even in the same=0A=
>game anymore.=0A=
Nope, just easy to move small files around the machines in front of me.=0A=
I have no interest in setting up a web server.=0A=
I wonder what others find convenient when moving files to/from=0A=
Windows?=0A=
=0A=
>The more code we hang onto in base, the larger the millstone around our=0A=
>necks when moving forwards. Each individual opportunity to slim down=0A=
>base *in itself* is not significant, but cumulatively they represent=0A=
>gridlock.=0A=
Maybe they should take "ls /usr/bin", remove the obvious essential=0A=
ones and have a survey to determine what else is widely used/needed?=0A=
=0A=
>For each removal or deprecation, please consider, is this worth holding=0A=
>the project back for?=0A=
>=0A=
># /etc/src.conf=0A=
>WITHOUT_CRUFT=3Dyes=0A=