Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 01:49:27 -0700
From:      Steve Logue <stevel@mail.cdsnet.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LD_PRELOAD & Linux emulation

--------------28A153C52CF4A320B443BFCA

Mike Smith wrote:

> > We dont ??, strange, I've always thought of it as my baby :)
>
> Great.  Maintain it, Dad.
>
> 8)
>
> Seriously, we're probably down 5-10 syscalls, and the supporting
> libraries haven't been updated for ~12 months or so.  Saying "I wrote
> lots of it" is fine, but "I maintain it" is another story altogether.

As far as the linux_lib package/port is concerned, is there room for another
person to help?
My business runs on FreeBSD, and I have a critical need to be able to run
many Linux programs now and in the future.
Therefore the proper functioning of such is worth money to me, and I would be
willing to maintain a current RedHat machine to steal libraries, and other
config files from as well as negotiating with Linux software producing
companies.  I can also deal with NDA's if needed to improve linux_lib.
Lastly, why can't we automate this by scripted extraction straight from a
series of Red Hat packages (the horse's mouth) - let Red Hat manage for us
what is the latest linux library/config files of the day?

-STEVEl

Steve Logue                       http://www.nettek-llc.com/
nettek LLC                        PC hardware/software sales
(541) 582-4602 voice/fax          Unix/Windows integration

--------------28A153C52CF4A320B443BFCA

<HTML>
Mike Smith wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;
<BR>> We dont ??, strange, I've always thought of it as my baby :)
<P>Great.&nbsp; Maintain it, Dad.
<P>8)
<P>Seriously, we're probably down 5-10 syscalls, and the supporting
<BR>libraries haven't been updated for ~12 months or so.&nbsp; Saying "I
wrote
<BR>lots of it" is fine, but "I maintain it" is another story altogether.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
As far as the linux_lib package/port is concerned, is there room for another
person to help?
<BR>My business runs on FreeBSD, and I have a critical need to be able
to run many Linux programs now and in the future.
<BR>Therefore the proper functioning of such is worth money to me, and
I would be willing to maintain a current RedHat machine to steal libraries,
and other config files from as well as negotiating with Linux software
producing companies.&nbsp; I can also deal with NDA's if needed to improve
linux_lib.&nbsp; Lastly, why can't we automate this by scripted extraction
straight from a series of Red Hat packages (the horse's mouth) - let Red
Hat manage for us what is the latest linux library/config files of the
day?
<P>-STEVEl
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Steve Logue&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.nettek-llc.com/">http://www.nettek-llc.com/</A>;
nettek LLC&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; PC hardware/software sales
(541) 582-4602 voice/fax&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Unix/Windows integration