Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Pontillo <mike_p@revenge.pylos.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NICs

> If you need cheap but working cards, look for the D-Link 530TX. They
> don't look to bad and work under FreeBSD (at least, > 3.x) with the
> vr (Via Rhine chipset) driver. A six-pack of them makes a price less
> than 25 DEM here, fifty cost even less. The Interl EtherExpress 10/100
> are almost four times as expensive as the D-Link, but I would prefer
> them of course. But we found the Via Rhine based cards to be a good
> compromise in price and what you get from them. On a P-II/350 board
> FreeBSD get's 11 MB/sec. over them using FTP with some CPU load, but
> not more than 15 %.
>
> In any case, I prefer those Via Rhine cards before any Realtek based
> cards due to driver difficulties we experienced already before.

	I have also experienced difficulties with realtek chipset 10/100
cards. It was almost looking to me like they were overheating, but I think
it might have actually been problems with the driver. *shrug* In any case,
Pacific Bell gave me a nice 10/100 card that works quite well when I got
DSL, so I am not worrying about that any more. =)

	Anyway, I'd just like to say that it has been my experience that
any 10bT (not 100bT) card that is ne2000 compatible can be made to work.
The drivers don't seem to be a problem with the 10bT cards. 100bT, though,
I am more careful about now.

Mike