Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:06:23 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jim King" <jim@jimking.net>, "David G. Andersen" <dga@POBOX.COM>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two kinds of advisories?

In message <4.3.2.7.2.20000713132105.04b65f00@localhost> Brett Glass writes:
: They often aren't. Many are just scanning the headers. Unfortunately,
: the headers leave the uninitiated with the wrong impression. I think
: that this could be avoided with a slight rephrasing. It would sure save
: me a bunch of panicky e-mails and phone calls, which seem to happen no
: matter how often I try to educate people.

Do you have a specific suggestion on what that wording might be?  As
far as I could tell the wording was about the best we could get from
given the extreme limitations of the subject line.  Do you have a
suggestion for improvement?

"FreeBSD Optional Package/Ports Advisory" is a better description, but
is too long.

"Ports Adviosry" doesn't tie it to FreeBSD.  These advisories are
specific to FreeBSD.

"FreeBSD Ports Advisory, don't Panic" would defeat the purpose of the
advisory: namely to encourage users to upgrade.

Help me help you here.

Warner