Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 12:39:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.0.3 + Radeon QD Crashes 4.3-STABLE

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Alban Hertroys wrote:

> On  6 May, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> >   I have the following configuration:
>
> Same here, though on an ASUS A7M266 board (AMD761 northbridge, VIA 686B
> south) and with a 1.2 GHz Athlon. Many people on various OS's suffer
> from this.

    So I've discovered.  Apparently, the AMD 761 chipset is not yet
supported.

> In my case it helped putting the option "NoAccel" in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config, but I've already read about people who still have
> the problem without acceleration.

    Thanks.  I'll give that a try.  There were some other tricks in
the Rage3D forum for getting a Rage 128 to work that I may also
try.

    Meanwhile, I noticed that the Radeon is listening on irq 10, and
so is one of my NICs.  It's all PCI, and that should be fine (in fact,
the Radeon gives me an 80x25 console just fine), but I'm going to try
shuffling irqs around and see if that helps.  I don't know if any PCI
slots in my motherboard are hard-wired to a specific IRQ.  I'll
certainly find that out, although I'd like to keep my current
configuration that leaves the slot next to the Radeon empty for air
circulation.

    (What's also troubling is that this is supposedly a 64MB DDR VIVO,
but only 32MB are seen in my dmesg.  Winblows reports the same.  Ah
well, at least I can transfer the videos of my kids to a more
permanent medium than magnetic tape, and hook up the 2nd satellite
receiver to the back of the card....)

> The problem is reported to the XFree86 bugtracker and standing since
> January or so...

    Time is my biggest problem, but if I can't get this to work with
the suggested workarounds, I may have to find some time to fix it.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)