Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 00:54:12 -0600
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How are you setting your modems????

Okay, I've got 2.2 up and running, and my digiboard seems to work fine.  Now
I'm trying to send configurations to my modems.  I just can't seem to get it
to happen.  How do y'all do this?

The closest thing to success I've had so far is with the cu command.  I'm
doing something like:

  #cu -l /dev/cuaD00 dir
  ATwhatever
  ~.

I can see the lights on the modem blinking, but nothing shows up on the
screen. When I've used /dev/ttyD00 I get nothing back, and the ~. command
doesn't work. I'm sort of getting the impression from some of the tidbits
around that the ttyD device goes one way (in?) and the cuaD device goes the
other way (out?).  If that is the case, then I guess it would be logical
that one would work (cuaD00) and one would not (ttyD00).  If this impression
has nothing to do with reality, please let me know.  If there is someplace
where these things are documented, I'd also appreciate a pointer.

So, y'all, what utility do you use to configure your modems?  Please don't
tell me you take them one at a time to a DOS pc and use something like
procomm to do the job.  While this is possible, it would greatly disappoint
me...

Thanks muchly...

Lee