Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 14:22:47 -0500
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        sobomax@freebsd.org, lx@matey.org
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, zietlow@securepipe.com
Subject:   Aureal-kmod port (updated port works fine)

Alexander and Maxim,

Saw the update to aureal-kmod on my cvsup today and updated my
system to the new version. Built and installed fine. The card
auto-detection seemed to be a problem, so I rebuilt the module
as per the ports pkg-message:
"cd /sys/modules/sound/pcm/ && make all install"

And uncommented my card type in the aureal.sh rc.d file:
CARD=8830

And now sound is working fine :-)

ASUS P3B-1394 MB with on-board Vortex2 chip.

4.6-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-PRERELEASE #0:
Tue May 14 19:22:42 CDT 2002       i386

Card auto-detection was very slow (15-30 seconds) and audio
never did work properly with auto-detection, but specifiying
Vortex chip type fixes that.

Also the quality of recording from my line-in has improved
quite a bit, but still has some occasional pop/crackle during
playback (every 5-10 seconds, mostly crackle). This is much
improved over the last time I tried this with the previous
version of the driver (au88x0-1.3_3).

Thanks for the great driver support :-)

Regards,

Stephen Hilton