Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:11:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of your strptime(3) code (fwd)

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Tom wrote:

>   Also, I don't think we need it.  None of the hundreds of other ports
> need it, and as it seems neither does msql.

True, mSQL 2.0b5 was the first one that I saw that broke without a working
strptime(3).  Still, just because there isn't an immediate need for
something doesn't mean we shouldn't consider it for inclusion.

strptime is the natural partner to strftime, which is in libc.  strptime
also is in Solaris.  If this import makes it possible to port one program
that someone wrote with only Solaris in mind, then it's in my mind worth
it.

Joerg had already done work on this long before I suggested it.  He, being
much more involved in the source tree that myself, saw a need, and I
respect and agree with that opinion.

Besides, I'm just running interference between the author and the
developers... 8-)

--
j.