Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:16:17 +0000
From:      Michael Doyle <relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie>
To:        fitzgfri@gateway.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD on Gateway PC Servers

Fritz,
This email came to me via the FreeBSD Advocacy news group.
I am the Network Administrator for Co-operation Ireland - an
Irish charity that Gateway donated US$50,000 worth of equipment to
in September 1998

One of the peoces of equipment is a server that I am using to run our
email system and intranet on.

The machine in question is running FreeBSD 2.2.7 (straight out of the box,
and the CD-ROM distrubution of FreeBSD - no further kernel upgrades were
needed)

The server is an NS-7000.
Our desktop PCs are predominantly Gateway PCs as well, of various vintages,
running Win95/Win98 and they all communicate with the server without any
problems. :-)

>We'll lets get some stuff done.  I have been working actively with my
>gateway rep to get them to certify their equipment for FreeBSD.  He is
>going to send an E-5200 to the "FreeBSD Test Labs" for certification real
>soon.
>
>The good news is that the Servers aren't required to have an MS OS on
>them.  However, FreeBSD doesn't currently run on their big servers.
>
>The plan:
>  Advertise that Gateway is seeking FreeBSD Certification.
>  Advertise that Gateway is entertaining the idea of shipping FreeBSD.
>  Create enough demand that the big wigs notice.
>  Let gateway know we are using FreeBSD with Gateway.
>
>My contact is Fritz Fitzgibbons <fitzgfri@gateway.com>  He is collecting
>all e-mail regarding FreeBSD with Gateway and forwarding them on.
>
>So, what can you do?
>
>  If you use FreeBSD with a gateway computer, write down the model and
>configuration and e-mail to fitzgfri@gateway.com.  Tell him that you are
>currently using FreeBSD with Gateway and would like to see it become
>a standard option.

Michael Doyle                    email: relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie
Network Administrator            personal email:    relyod@indigo.ie
Co-operation Ireland	  http://www.co-operation-ireland.ie/
Phone: +353-1-661 0588                          Fax: +353-1-661 8456