Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:03:57 +0100
From:      Ron Smith <ronnet@mediaone.net>
To:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   (no subject)

Thanks to all,

I have a dual-homed gateway running FreeBSD. The internal LAN (NIC) is
class "C" (192.168.c.d). The external NIC has been assigned a static IP
address from the ISP (63.203.c.d). I'm running NAT, and would like to
know if this will provide enough protection for the internal LAN? I also
have a firewall compiled into the kernel, but the rules prevent NAT from
working whenever the firewall is in any other state except allowing "any
to any". When the firewall is using "open" rules (allowing any to any)
is NAT still providing protection to the internal network? If not, does
anyone have any additional suggestions?

TIA
Ron Smith