Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 11:36:45 +0300
From:      "Alexandr P. Kovalenko" <never@uic-in.net>
To:        Michael Radzewitz <michael.radzewitz@freenet-ag.de>
Cc:        "'security@freebsd.org'" <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache_logs/system hang up

Hello, Michael Radzewitz!

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 10:00:46AM +0200, you wrote:

> Hello Marc,
>
> the system wasn't able to do anything so that i had to reset it by hand.
> Tonight the same thing happend. Acctually I would think there must be
> something wrong on my site. The characters contain nothing else
> than hundreds of these: ^@^@^@
> They do not look like a typically binary file. It's always the same
> corner of the internet which one of my users visit and which causes the
> trouble one minute later.
>
> Today I plugged a monitor in to see what happend and i got the message:
>
> login: unable to login
>
> followed by a kernel panic and the normal core dump output of a linux
> system.
>
> As I mentioned before I thing there is something wrong on my site
> but I am a little bit concerned about the: unable to login message.
> I will monitor this problem until the end of the week - maybe i get some
> more information about it. Later than I will swap the system to FreeBSD.
Sorry, what apache versions are you running and what are uname -a's ?
/me have similar situation, periodically machine locks up.
When on last second I'm able to run top I see that swap is filled and apache is
about 350Mb.... Maybe it is common problem/security issue

--
NEVE-RIPE
ICQ: 36925929	http://www.nevermind.kiev.ua/