Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:19:57 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

"Jonathan M. Bresler" wrote:

> > Some flaws in the "make world" became apparent when the sigset_t
> > datatype changed. One of the biggest problems right now is that we don't
> > have an upgrade path from -stable to -current. Especially with 4.0 being
>
>         I have successfully upgraded a box from stable to current,
> using a CVS tree.  the method is to use a CVS tree to build current
> as of 19990927 first.  then update the source tree to current,
> build and install a new kernel, then make world

Thanks, that's good to know. I don't think we can expect joe user to do
the same thing though and it's not exactly an upgrade path I like to
present to our users...

What I'm aiming for is that you can slap a current FreeBSD source tree
on any runnable version of FreeBSD and perform a cross-build for the
machine you want it to run on, whether that has the same architecture or
the same object format as the machine you are using to build it or not.

With such a capability more complex upgrade problems may be more easily
solved (assuming I can't get what I'm aiming for of course :-). I
certainly hope to make upgrading from 2.2.x to -current possible without
more than a single "make world".

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/