Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:36:26 -0700
From:      Mark Atkinson <atkin901@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regression: em driver in -CURRENT, "Invalid MAC address"

Jack Vogel wrote:

> I'm willing to bet that its in fact the same problem that VMWare is
> having. Our method of getting the mac address changed, and the emulations
> seem to be unprepared for it.
>
> This was done for a real customer requirement to allow support of
> alternate mac addressing in firmware. What happens now is a warm reset of
> the hardware is done, followed by reading the RAR[0] register. In a real
> Intel NIC the mac
> address will be valid in that register, but in VMWare, and I'm willing to
> bet in
> VirtualBox as well, its 0.
>
> VMWare also has 3 choices of device (wow, amazing coincidence :), can
> you tell me when you pick e1000 what real adapter it claims to emulate?
>
> I am considering options for this problem. The one I lean toward right now
> is to make a "legacy" em driver, it will have support for ONLY pre-PCI
> Express
> hardware, it will be frozen as it were, the idea is that with no new work
> on it
> it will not suffer from any regression type failures. If I do this, there
> are some
> strategy issues, and its those I'm thinking about.
>
> In any case, I intend to have this problem resolved for 8's release. Stay
> tuned.

Just FYI.  this is a real machine with real cards.  Older fiber cards.

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 6.9.14> mem 0xdb000000-0xdb01ffff
irq 28 at device 4.0 on pci19
em0: Reserved 0x20000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xdb000000
em0: Invalid MAC address
device_attach: em0 attach returned 5
em1: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 6.9.14> mem 0xdb020000-0xdb03ffff
irq 29 at device 9.0 on pci19
em1: Reserved 0x20000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xdb020000
em1: Invalid MAC address
device_attach: em1 attach returned 5

$ pciconf -v -l |grep -A4 -e "^em"
em0@pci0:19:4:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x10008086 chip=0x10008086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82542 Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
em1@pci0:19:9:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x10008086 chip=0x10008086

--