Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:41:50 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Stevan Tiefert <stevan@aixa.rot-1.de>
Subject:   Re: longest uptime

On Thu 28 Apr 05 12:37, Stevan Tiefert <stevan@aixa.rot-1.de> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> if I want to do a uptime-record I have always the possiblity to shut
> down daemons (when needed) and start them again, without rebooting
> the system! That is very nice! I had many days and weeks running my
> nicely freebsd-server. BUT every time I updated the patchlevel (in
> example 5.2.1-RELEASE to 5.2.1-RELEASE-p14) I had to reboot my
> system. But then the counter of uptime is starting at zero again :-(
>
> Question: Is there a possiblity to run the system inclusive patching
> it, without rebooting? Goal is to run a system maybe longer than a
> year!!!

As others have said, no, and it's not really important, though FWIW, my
uptime is always as long as my machines run without me rebooting them,
meaning they'll stay up until I say otherwise ;) They never go down on
their own. I have a laptop running close to a month now, and the only
reason it's not longer is because I wanted to update to 5.4-PR.

But ... rebooting in order to update for security fixes is not a bad
thing. An long-unpatched FreeBSD install on a DMZ server makes me a bit
more edgy than knowing the uptime will reset to zero when it's rebooted
after updating.

- jt