Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 19:20:46 -0400
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linksys wireless access point

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 04:04:39PM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>
> > well, the default setting you get when booting up is an empty string, which
> > from my experience has allowed me to connect to any network around i don't
> > know if you actually have to set it to an empty string by hand or not...
>
>      Well, the linksys docs say that an empty string won't work, and so
> linksys may have done something strange ....

this is true...  i will be sure to try it again at the next opportunity.

>      Another thing to try is to simplify things and just use a static
> IP, to eliminate some possible failure points (like DHCP).  That's what
> I did when I was setting up my Buffalo Tech. access point.  I know you
> said you tried doing this, but you did use IP addresses on the same
> subnet, right?  Is the linksys access point set up for DHCP or static
> IP?  What was the IP address of the access point?  If DHCP, is the
> linksys DHCP server disabled?  Could you ping the access point (using
> numeric IP addresses)?  Which, if any, of the LEDs on the Wavelan PCMCIA
> card were lit?

the access point has a static ip itself (192.168.1.1), and gives out ip's with
DHCP (which is working fine for the wired case and for wireless under
windows).  i tried assigning a static ip to the wireless card under freebsd,
in the same subnet (i gave it 192.168.1.2), and i was unable to ping anything
(specifically the access point itself).  the laptop is able to recieve an ip
if i give it a standard ethernet card and plug it right in, so i don't think
anything is wrong with my dhcp configuration.  as for led's on the PCMCIA
card, the power led remains on the whole time, and the transmit led is lit for
a moment when it first tries to get a DHCP lease and then once or twice after
that, but never for very long (less activity than when the card is working
normally).

> [ I just took a look at the BEFW11S4 manual, and it's a lot like my
>   linksys BEFSR11 firewall.  It has a fair number of configuration
>   options (not "very few").  As you said that it "makes some kind of
>   contact", this makes me think that something else might be wrong.  ]

oh, it has a hell of a lot of configuration options, but not for the wireless
portion.  i didn't think you wanted me to quote you the entire set of config
options, since it is extensive, and the non wireless portion is working as
expected.  especially since the same card works correctly under windows with
these settings.

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would