Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:57:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rotan@cs.pdx.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   i386/7361: AHA-2940UW, Micron Millenia, ahc. Driver hangs at polling

>Number:         7361
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       AHA-2940UW, Micron Millenia, ahc. Driver hangs at polling
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Note that for the same configuration of below a boot floppy of NetBSD  booted fine, begin able to access the controller and continue to start the install program.

Maybe suggestion if ahc driver of NetBSD would be availble for FreeBSD.

> Terminated, 2G Western Digital Wide SCSI hard drive ( 16 bit),
> Terminated 12/20 Plexter CDROM ( 8 bit ) SCSI.
> AHA-2940UW SCSI host adapter
> Micron Millenia board.
> Besided the controller card there is just the video
> card.
>
> Sync and Disconnect are both disabled for all the
> devices in the SCSI chain ( hard drive, CDROM,
> and controller ).
> Mother Board BIOS: Phoenix v4.04
> Host adapter BIOS: v1.32
> PNP is disabled.
>
> Partitions:
> Primary active DOS partition: 250M win95
> Rest: Unused.
>
> I have a problem when booting FreeBSD with the
> install floppy: /RELEASE2.2.6/updates/boot.flp,
> see below for boot dmesg output
> By the way WIN95 runs fine, and had FreeBSD runing
> when I used a buslogic controler on a regular SCSI
> drive (  2G )
>
> Have tried the following:
> - Disconnecting the CDROM.
> - Taking out the controller and booting untill
>   "No Operating System", then rebooting again.
> - Moving the controller to different PCI slots.
> - Sync, and disconnect enabled.
> - Searching around for this problem on the net.
>
> Below:
> >>
> Mouse IRQ12: enabled
> Interrupt Routing: A: disabled, B: disabled, C: IRQ15, D: IRQ11 MB0:
> disabled, MB1: disabled
> chip2 <Intel 83371FB IDE interface> rev 1 int a irq 11 on pci0:17:0
> mapreg[10] type = 1 addr = 0000fc00 size = 0100
> mapreg[14] type = 0 addr = f0dff000 size = 1000
> reg16: ioaddr = 0xfc00 size 0x100
> ahc0: reading SEEPROM ... done
> internal 50 cable is present
> internal 68 cable is present
> brdctl == 0x2c
> external cable not present
> eprom is present
> brdctl == 0xcc
> low byte termination disabled, high byte termination enabled
                       ^^^^^^^^
I have this enabled and it works fine. I also run synchronous.

> ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id = 7, 116 SCBs
                                           ^^^^^^^^
Should that be 16?
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.

> ahc0: Downloading Sequencer program ... ahc: 373 instructions downloaded
> Done
> ahc0: Probing channel A
> ahc0: Waiting for scsi devices to settle
> achc0: board is not responding
> (ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x01 SCSISIGI ==
> 0x0
> SEQADDR = 0x166 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x4 SSTAT1 = 0x8
> (ahc0:0:0) Queueing an abort SCB ahc:0 board is not responding
> cmd fail
> (ahc0:0:0) SCB 0x1 timed out while recovery in progress
> (ahc0:0:0) "Unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
> uk0(ahc0:0:0): Unknown
> ahc0: board is not responding
>How-To-Repeat:
Just rebooting,